With the Winter season approaching, the common cold and the flu are right around the corner. Every flu season (Fall and Winter with the peak of flu season anywhere from late November through March), as many as 20% of Americans get sick with a virus that can cause serious, even lethal complications (not to mention the general awfulness of a fever, chills, fatigue, body aches, sore throat, and headache). So how come there are still so many myths and rumors about the flu?
The most important MYTH that i have come across is this: If you got a flu shot last year, you do not need a flu shot this year. This is so FALSE! Viruses are always changing and there are new ones in the environment every season. Flu shots vary in composition every year, based on this year’s viruses. Therefore it is important to get a flu shot EVERY YEAR without fail.
Misinformation can increase susceptibility and open us up as targets for illness, and Bankers Healthcare Group is a company devoted to providing physician loans, and they are partnering with doctors around the country as well as bloggers like me to debunk these myths!
Here are some more MYTHS about the Flu, which are definitely NOT TRUE according to scientific research.
- The Flu is just a bad cold – FALSE
- The Flu Vaccine can give you the flu – FALSE
- Getting the flu vaccine is all you need to do to prevent flu – FALSE
- Taking Vitamin C will prevent Flu – FALSE
- You can catch the flu by going outside in the winter without a jacket – FALSE
- Vaccinating someone twice provides double the immunity – FALSE
- I should wait to get vaccinated so that immunity stays until the end of the season – FALSE
- There’s no treatment except rest and chicken soup– FALSE
To see the details about these myths and what you can do to protect yourself from the flu, click on the infographic below.