WHAT IS A PLAYARD? WHY DO I NEED IT?
First and foremost, playards are designed to give your baby a safe and portable space for napping and playing. Depending on where and how you plan on using your playard, there are a number of options you may find worthwhile. Many parents purchase a playard to serve as a “care station” in the home, as well as a second, lightweight basic model for travel use. The term Pack ‘N Play® is commonly used interchangeably with the word playard. However, Pack ‘N Play® is the brand name for the line of playards from Graco
WHAT ARE MY PLAYARD OPTIONS?
If you’re just looking to keep your baby safe for a few minutes now and then, a basic playard will probably meet your needs. Keep in mind, however, that playards are for more than just playing. Today’s playards can provide:
- A Newborn Napper or a Cuddle Cove Removable Rocking Seat – a soothing place for an infant to rest.
- Note that the Newborn Napper does NOT have a rocking seat. It stays stationary even when removed from the Playard. On the other hand, as the name suggests, the Cuddle Cove Rocking Seat can be rocked (with better performance on hardwood floors than carpet) ONLY when it is removed from the Playard.
- Playard bassinet, which can double as a portable crib for home or travel for babies weighing 15 pounds or less
- A portable changing station with changing table insert or attached changing table and organizer or built-in storage shelves for diapers and baby wipes
- A wide assortment of colors and patterns, versatile neutral colors with understated designs, stylish contrasting colors or gender-specific colors/patterns
- Additional features to amuse or soothe your baby, including mobiles, detachable toy bars or entertainment centers with music, sounds and/or vibration.
|Pack ‘N Play® Playard with Cuddle Cove™ Rocking Seat in Winslet™|
PLAYARD FACTS YOU SHOULD KNOW
Most playards are designed to offer some level of portability; they may roll on wheels and fold easily and compactly into their own tote for vacations, playdates and trips to Grandma’s.
- A typical playard weighs about 24 pounds (without bassinet and/or changing station)
- With bassinet and changing station, a typical playard weighs close to 33 pounds
- Most playards are 28 to 30 inches wide and about 40 inches long
- Travel playards are lighter (about 20 pounds) and smaller (about 23 inches wide)
- Some playard models are designed for making packing and transporting easier; the carrying case may be designed to function like a rolling suitcase
- All playards and accessories (including bassinets and changing tables) have weight limits; the weight limits of individual pieces can vary, affecting how long they’re usable
THINGS TO CONSIDER
When it comes to maintaining a clean playard, there are a couple of options:
- While some playards have wipe-clean surfaces, detachable, washable playard sheets are practical, comfortable and attractive
- If purchasing playard sheets, make sure they’re the proper dimensions for your playard
You can make your playard more comfortable with additional accessories:
- Quilted playard sheets help keep your baby cozy
- 2-pc. sets, such as the Graco® Comfy Combination, come with a changing table pad and coordinating playard sheet.
Source: Amazon Playard Buying Guide